Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Day 2 over--Finally!

After a long day, and I mean long--we are home now and enjoying some quiet time. We started this morning at 6:30 at the hospital for the MRI, blood work and spinal tap... At 12:30 we finished and got a quick break for lunch. Claire did well, got to be sedated for the whole time and woke up with quite an appetite. We laughed in our wait for Claire to be done, we got to see other patients check in for surgery, have surgery, recover and leave all before we got to go see Claire again. Then we got to meet with her doctor again this afternoon. Of course we do not have the results from her blood work or spinal tap (some will take up to 6 weeks) but her MRI did not show anything of great significance, that we already knew. So we begin tomorrow morning her 3 month steroid treatment. We get to check in at the hospital and stay through Friday night probably. This will mainly be to check her as she starts the steroids and to help teach Russell and I how to give her the injections. Hopefully within a few weeks time we should begin to see results. Our prayer is that when this treatment is over her seizures will have stopped, we can stop the steroid treatment and all other seizure medication. And then we can begin the work of playing developmental catch up. Her current diagnosis of infantile spasms isn't great, but Claire has already beat the odds to some extent. She probably won't ever be what we would call normal, but we do believe that at some point she should learn to walk and talk to some degree. Our little Clairebear is a fighter and stubborn too, and the doc said that should serve her well.

4 comments:

Kim Nielsen said...

Mandy-I saw a post on Stephanie's blog and found your blog. You know what's weird, I put the purple bib you made for Emily on her today, and I thought about y'all. I'm so glad I found your blog and I will check it to stay update on your little girls. Claire is going on my prayer list. I pray she responds favorably to treatment.

stephanie said...

Mandy-I am so glad you went to Mayo. I know it has been a hard road, but that little Clairebear is SO worth it.
Love ya,
Stepha.

Catherine said...

oh, this sounds so good! We will be waiting and praying for a "Mama" someday! Miss you guys much and look forward to having you home. Give Clairebear a kiss!

Leah said...

Mandy,
You may not remember me, but I was in your MOPS group before you moved. I have Tyler who is a month younger than sweet Claire. I had no idea she was still having health issues as I lost touch with you once you moved. I will be praying for her and your entire family. I am so happy she is at Mayo and that she is being treated so well there.